Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Photography Help?

I have been trying to figure out my new (to me) DSLR. It is a Nikon D100. I am including a photo that I have not touched up other than to resize to 800x600. I have tried to keep the camera on all auto settings. Can anyone give me some pointers? I know I can fix the photo with software but I really want to take better photos without needing to do much with software. I have not cropped the photo yet. And that is supposed to be a white background. It was taken in a photo tent with 2 lights on the side and one over it. Let me know if you need any other info about the camera or the photo.

Click on image for bigger photo

4 comments:

  1. Is it just color problems? If so, try all the white-balance options and pick the best result.
    A tripod may help too. There's lots of tutorials for 'ebay photography' out there that are good guides for shooting small objects.
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I used a tripod. I was concerned with the focus and the white balance.

    Thanks for the suggestion on the guides. Hadn't thought of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have the option, setting it to 'spot focus' may help. Otherwise, it may be centering on the background instead. Another useful option to check into is custom tone curves (http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/custom_tone_curves.html). That could give you the consistency you're looking for.
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at some posts about that camera, you have alot of good white balance options. You can go to manual, and you can even 'tweak' after setting it. (nice feature!)...
    Get the color decent with white balance first. Then the 2nd step will be to figure out your exposure. If you set your lights up close to the same, you'll be able to get it pretty consistant.

    As for focus, that will come. If you can set this up close to your computer, I'd suggest shooting 'connected' to your computer. The bigger screen will give you much faster feedback to see if your settings need tweeking.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete